Description of St. Mark's Church
St. Mark’s Church was built as a three-storey court building. It originates from the 14th century, as the parish church of the part of the town called Gradec. The parish is first time mentioned in 1261. It has a nice portal. Long time ago it was a column of shame, where city court sentenced the people and executed them. It is recognizable by the colorful bell tower with the coat of arms of the city of Zagreb and the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia. St. Mark’s Church has a baroque arch and a harmonious southern facade on which we can see the richest gothic portal in Croatia.
Earthquakes and Renovation
Throughout the history, the Zagreb was hit several times by severe earthquakes. The strongest earthquake in the city’s history was on 9th November, 1880, where the church was, like all buildings, severely damaged.
Several times before 1875, it was considered that the church should be demolished due to bad rehabilitation and decay. However, the renovation of the church was granted to the architect Friedrich von Schmidt in 1876, who drafted and worked on the reconstruction when his student and associate Herman Bolle continued his reconstruction. The renovation of the church lasted until 1882. During this reconstruction, the most famous roof with emblems was placed – on the left side the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia, and on the right the coat of arms of the city of Zagreb. The conceptual creator of the coat of arms is not known.
Find out more by yourself!
For more information click here –>> Visit more on St.Mark’ Church in Incredible Croatia
For more information click here –>> Learn more on Croatia in Incredible Croatia